Monday, September 17, 2018

For once, once in your life....

Won't you do what feels right
Instead of waiting for the next big compromise


........so, who knows how many years ago that was (10)

My favorite musician of all time that there never will be a better one did a residency at this little downstairs hole in the wall in Venice Beach, CA. He was there for a month and I flew out for the third week.  This one was special...he was playing his new but not yet released album start to finish and that was it every show.  Those lyrics above have stuck with me since I first heard them.  Every time I feel myself doubting doing something because it isn't "responsible" I hear those lyrics in my head and I damn well do it anyway.  

Ahhhhh, Mr. Walker......he's got the lyrics in the middle of a song that hit you like a ton of bricks because they apply to you.  

He still does it.  He makes me smile and feel so happy that I feel like the world is perfect and we know it isn't.  Then he has the lyrics that I feel pierce my heart like an arrow because it is really like he wrote them for me.  He makes me all out cry.  He makes me cry a little because I try to control it.  He makes me teary eyed.  He makes my heart hurt with melancholy and nostalgia and such a longing for the past.  He makes me want to write out lyrics and mail them to a certain person.  He makes me want things and a certain time back when I really don't but the song just engulfs me and I feel like I'm there again and I do wonder..........he makes me realize how short and shitty life can really be and do just what he sang......for once, once in your life do what feels right.  

One of my partners in crime and I went to Music Midtown this year....mostly because it was the 20th anniversary of the first time he ever played there.  Then Music Midtown plans an after hours show at The Cotton Club (which closed many moons ago) for him to play after MM ended Saturday night.  Coolest thing ever.  Tickets sold out in 2 minutes.  He played almost three hours.  We got back to our hotel at almost 2 am. 

One of the only times I abandon all the bad, sad, and everything else that fills you that you wish you didn't is at one of his shows.  Sheer happiness where I sing every word because I know every word even the silly things he throws in.  I know the claps and snaps and words you sing that he doesn't sing. Best I ever feel is when he sings.  

The only other people who get this are the other fans like me.  

Some of my favorite pictures....





I see the Cotton Club/Tabernacle from my hotel room window.



Makes me over the moon just to think about the night coming up.




 This might be my favorite picture or one of them from the night.






 Love it when he makes it rain confetti down at the end of the night....or what you think is the end because that is how you feel at a show.....like you need confetti because confetti is a happy party. 

Then the band did an encore and they left the stage again. 

Then he shows up behind us sitting on the stairs that take you up and out of the venue with just his guitar.  





First, he played Don't Move which he almost never plays anymore and then he did it....he went there.  He played Record Store.  New as of last year's album and I swear, he wrote it for me.  Heart in my throat.....melancholy and nostalgia filling the place my heart should have been......teary eyed but all out tears when it gets to certain parts.  

Parts that move me the most:

Meet me at the record store
Even though it ain't there anynore
You can sing me that song
About time moving on
I wanna love like I loved you when I could

~~~~~~

Meet me at the record store
Even though it ain't there anymore
My God it's been so long
What the hell went wrong
I wanna love like I loved you when I could

~~~~~~~

I cried a thousand nights for you 
When I could feel your pain
Those times the bottom fell through
Like a dog left in the rain
All lovesick and loaded 
Come on let's go back to where we met

Meet me at the record store
Even though it ain't here anymore
I'll fumble through our song
And make you hum along
You can love like you loved me when you could




Gets me every time....never has there been a song that said it so perfectly about that time in my life when I loved so hard and never quite will know, despite two different chances we took, exactly why we didn't work out when it was just us with no one in the way.  Except I haven't always lived the way Butch wrote about.....Won't you do what feels right. If I did a few years ago after we came home from Stone Mtn. and we stood in my driveway and that look and that connection and that feeling and I know you were waiting on me because you never were sure or certain of me because of the past and how I felt and me.....well I didn't want to be hurt but the second I walked away to go inside, I regretted it and since then it has played in my mind many times how it should have gone.  

Anyway, after an amazing almost three hours listening to him at the Cotton Club Saturday night, I knew there was no way I wasn't going back to MM Sunday to hear him play on his 20th anniversary of playing there even if It did end up raining.   The whole time I heard those words.....won't you do what feels right....and that felt right.  If I could always live that way.......although I'm more there than I've ever been.  


He said no one would even know who he was and maybe a few of us would show up but then there was this.....



And I leave you with things you should never wear to MM or even BUY for that matter.......





No comments:

Post a Comment