Turkey Day used to be about a whole lot of cooking, mostly for one person. Last turkey day was my first living a new life. This is my second. It is better than the first was. Really haven't been sad about the past at all today.
My friends in SC invited me to come this week and we were supposed to be getting a lot of work done fixing up the restaurant but it didn't really turn out that way. Things just weren't that far alone for us to have fun with the setting up and decorating and things kept coming up every day that had to be dealt with.
We had decided before I came that we were going to do something to honor Dee. I still miss her every day but I miss her most on Saturday mornings because we talked every Saturday morning. Talking about honoring her lead to tattoo talk so we picked and planned and researched and changed around until we had what we wanted that has great meaning to the two of us that are left. So, I came with one tattoo and I'm leaving with two.
Now, there is nothing like getting a tattoo to me. It doesn't hurt even though people will tell you that. I think I'm special because I feel the discomfort of it and I revel in it. It has always been like the pain inside me coming out through the process of the discomfort which probably would be pain if I was the old me. So, I sat in my chair with just my cami on and pulled down the strap, plugged my earbuds in, turned on Ill Mic (the reason the three of us met in the first place), and enjoyed every second of it. It only took 15 minutes which wasn't long enough. I listened to Beautiful first and thought about my first birthday party in my house after I moved in with Shon sang that song to me, Dee, and Karel. How many people get their favorite song sang to them by their favorite singer for their birthday? Then Exodus came on and I started Beautiful again after that and not long into it, he was done. I was a little teary eyed at the end. I felt her there. Karel and I started at the same time and finished at the same too. Then we went to Rosie's and had shots of Patron for Dee too. It was a Dee day. We had more shots later. Some songs just don't end up playing in a place that often and the song that came on later that night was one of those songs, yet it fit. It was the song with great significance in our favorite book that I'd bought her awhile ago.
Yesterday, we went to Charleston, which was nice. Another memory of Dee. Then a whole lot of traffic and stores and shopping for food for today.
So, that's turkey day. And I'm wondered what will next year be like? I have no idea at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment